Founded on 11/29/1777 as Pueblo de San José de Guadalupe, the first boundaries of San José were: Guadalupe River, current West Hedding, North First, and Hobson streets.
Sometimes thought of as Old Town, these boundaries contained the homes of the settlers. The surrounding area east of the Guadalupe River was used for resources and grazing land. The area west of the Guadalupe River was intended to be used by the Mission Santa Clara for resources and grazing land.
Source: Clyde Arbuckle’s history of San José, book by Clyde Arbuckle, 1986, page 10.